Before I knew you, I loved you. The image I had of you then is not much different than the image I now behold. The early love I had for you has blossomed into today’s love. Both are right. Both are dynamic. Both are real, as are you.
A great many days have transpired between that first glance and this morning’s kiss. Some days have been fun while some difficult. Many have been happy and a few tragic. Mostly, they have been satisfying. Today is such a day. And, I am the better for every one of them.
Thirteen is my favorite number simply because we chose to be wedded on that day…a Friday as I recall. No superstition and nothing mystical. Magical, perhaps. Since this is 2013 and we were married on the thirteenth, I have decided to honor you with thirteen reasons as to why I love you so much. Valentine’s Day should be on the thirteenth!
Before I begin my list, I am compelled to state the obvious. My feelings run deep and strong for you, like a powerful mountain river as it empties into the ocean. You captivate me. You always have. It’s hopeless, your influence over me. I am drawn to you as steel is to a magnet. I couldn’t resist even if I tried.
Sweetheart, here are thirteen reasons as to why I love you and what I see in you. They are by no means comprehensive.The words I write are inadequate, but I must try. Please forgive my omissions.
1. Inward beauty so rich that it would take a notebook full of words to describe.
2. Outward beauty so full that I still can’t take my eyes off of you.
3. A tender heart, full of compassion, which grows each year.
4. Creative abilities too numerous to mention, but obvious to all who know you.
5. Character that is undergirded by integrity, honesty and fairness.
6. Intelligence that logically reveals itself daily.
7. Insight that defies my understanding, but which I rely upon.
8. Sense of humor that continues to put a smile on my face each day.
9. Courage to stay the course, even when the road can’t be seen.
10. Wisdom that knows what and when to speak, and when to be silent.
11. Strength of will, especially when each day can be tougher than the day before.
12. Humility in everything you are and do.
13. Love that stretches to Heaven, and back again to those entrusted to your care.
Simply amazing is what you are. To be associated with you would be enough, but to have the privilege of being your husband is oh so wonderful. School girl to my girl…is like a dream come true for me. Thank you, Cheryl, for making my life so refulgent. With all my love, Michael.